The best large family tents will be extremely helpful when it comes to summer vacation. It’s a good time to take your whole family on a trip to strengthen the bond between family members. It also gets you all out of the daily surroundings and bustling life. Planning a camping trip for your whole family will save you a fortune (as you don’t need to spend on luxury hotels and accommodation) and give your children a wonderful opportunity to explore and learn about nature.
Hence, choosing a suitable tent to accommodate you all at one time is the first thing first. Of all several brands and products on the market, which one will suit you the best? Let’s take a look at our detailed review and get yourself one from the best large family tents list.
|AT A GLANCE: MY TOP 5 PICKS FOR THE BEST LARGE FAMILY TENTS|
- Top 10 Best Large Family Tents reviews
- 1. Coleman WeatherMaster 10-Person Tent
- 2. Coleman Montana 8-Person Tent
- 3. Core 9 Person Extended Dome Tent
- 4. Mountain Trails Grand Pass 10 Person Tent
- 5. NTK Laredo GT 8 to 9 Person Large Camping Tent
- 6. Ozark Trail 10-Person 3-Room XL Family Cabin Tent
- 7. Coleman Red Canyon 8-Person Tent
- 8. Wenzel 8 Person Klondike Tent
- 9. Teton Sports Sierra Canvas Tent
- 10. Kodiak Canvas Flex-Bow Deluxe 8-Person Tent
- Things We Need To Consider Before Picking The Best Large Family Tents
Top 10 Best Large Family Tents reviews
1. Coleman WeatherMaster 10-Person Tent
This Coleman product is a great tent if you are planning on taking your whole family for a great weekend getaway. With its cabin-like style, the Coleman WeatherMaster can accommodate up to 10 people on 3 queen-size airbeds yet still give you a larger feel than ones with a dome or low-profile style. The base measures 17’x9’ while the center height is 6’ 8’’, which ensures a large inside for the whole family. It is not an instant tent due to its pretty large size, but it can be easily set up in 20-25 minutes (more or less).
Besides the material and design that contribute to its waterproof function (such as the polyurethane-coated fabric, the water-repellent thread, and the fully taped rainfly seams), Coleman WeatherMaster 10-Person has a lot of interesting features. The hinged D-shaped door allows easy in and out while most big tents do not offer. Besides, the free room divider that comes with the tent will give you extra privacy when you need a separate space for clothes changing/children’s room. Additionally, the angled windows will keep the rain out but still allow air circulation.
– Well ventilated with the angled windows
– A D-shaped hinged door that allows easy in & out
– The poles are color-coded to make the setup process easier
– Setup process might take a while
– The color-coded parts are not made of particularly strong metal
For more information, you can read out the full review about Coleman WeatherMaster 10-Person Outdoor Tent HERE.
2. Coleman Montana 8-Person Tent
Coleman products are famous for their great features and durability. This Coleman Montana 8-Person Tent is not an exception, and it is one of the best large family tents. In comparison with the first best family large tent that we reviewed (Coleman WeatherMaster 10-Person Tent), this product is like a (bit) small version yet contains all the best functions. It is good at waterproofing the inside by the welded corners, inverted seams, and the rainfly that comes along. It also features a hinged door that allows easy in and out, Besides, the roomy interior is able to house 3 queen-size airbeds (the base measures 16’ x 7’ and the center height is 6’ 2’’).
Moreover, the tent can be set up in a shorter time (just in 15 minutes) and comes with storage pockets that help you store the small camping gear. The extended awning creates a dry space to store gear and protect it outside the tent. You can also take advantage of the design to have a dry area to enter the tent.
– Easy to set up
– Hinged door allows easy in & out and the opposing windows create great air ventilation
– The high windows sometimes make the inside stuffy during hot weather
3. Core 9 Person Extended Dome Tent
This Core 9 Person Extended Dome Tent is one of the best large family tents that comes with many interesting features. Not mentioning the capacity that its name already suggests (9 people can sleep comfortably on 3 queen-sized air mattresses), the center-height at 7’2’’ is also an appealing point. Tall people can move and stand freely to carry out all standing tasks and stuff.
The tent is made with PU coated fabric and CORE H2O block technology that ensures your dryness in heavy rain. Along with the waterproofing feature, the adjustable ground vent allows you to breathe the fresh air even though the tent is at its full capacity. The rainfly can be removed so you will be able to get a good view of the sky through the mesh ceiling. In the case of ran, you can cover the area using the rainfly that is carefully heat-taped.
Besides, there is a hook for hanging your lantern. There are also pockets for you to organize small gears easily & off the ground. Another interesting feature of this tent is that you can use the electric access cord to charge your devices and close it fully when it is not in use.
– Easy to set up
– Removable rainfly and equipped hook/pockets inside, as well as the electric access cord that can be fully closed
– The rainfly is a bit small
– If you are bringing camping gear and devices with you, don’t try to put 9 in the tent even though the interior is larger than it looks from the outside. In this case, 5-6 people will sleep comfortably inside the tent
4. Mountain Trails Grand Pass 10 Person Tent
If you are looking for a classic domed-style tent in the best large family tents list, this Mountain Trails Grand Pass 10 Person Tent is the one. Made from nylon and features a special design that is a shock-corded fiberglass frame with a pin-and-ring system, it’s super easy for you to set up the tent in a short time.
The base which measures 18’ x 10’ allows the tent to house a lot of camping gear and stuff and of course your family member. It is boasted to accommodate up to 10 people (as the name suggests) and the real capacity depends on what you put inside. Basically, the tent interior can be divided into 02 rooms for privacy. This feature is perfectly suitable for a family with tween/teenagers, who always want to be alone but still need to put under parents’ eyes.
There are 02 large D-styled doors for easy movement and the mesh roof vents, as well as plenty of windows that give out good cross ventilation. The tent is able to waterproof you quite well by its polyethylene floor with welded seams.
– A large tent with a spacious interior, but still easy to set up
– The interior could be divided into 02 rooms
– Reasonable price
– No proper openings for ventilation, there is only the mesh roof vents.
– Not 100% waterproof along the seams on the ends.
5. NTK Laredo GT 8 to 9 Person Large Camping Tent
This is one of the best large family tents at a reasonable price that you could consider buying for your upcoming family trip. It is a durable big tent that withstands the harsh winds by its shock-corded fiberglass rods. These are made from 100% virgin NANO-FLEX with an improved diameter and double gold plated ferrules.
There are also the color-coded poles for an easy set up which can be done within 20-30 minutes. After finishing pitching the tent, you will get a shelter that is at a similar capacity with a small living room and even gets it separated for different purposes or private sections.
One of the most attractive features of the tent is that it is a perfect weather shelter. The product comes with a full-coverage rainfly, which is a double layer 190T polyester laminated with a polyurethane 2500 mm water column. The rainfly is also partially aluminum, heat-welded PU seam-sealed, and UV protection. They play the role of the very first weather shield, besides the durable inner tent as the second one.
The inner features large D-style doors and is even equipped with the mosquito mesh, which helps you a lot with air ventilation at night. Besides, it also gives out strong protection against small insects. As for the heavy-duty anti-fungus seamless polyethylene base (which is 10’2’’ x 15’), it is carefully layer coated with silver. In general, it’s one of the best large family tents.
– Suitable with taller campers due to the high center (about 6’)
– Mosquito mesh helps both air ventilation and protection against small insects
– Full coverage rainfly made from strong material (190T polyester laminated with polyurethane 2500 mm water column)
– A good base that comprises heavy-duty anti-fungus seamless polyethylene
– Not so lightweight enough for carrying away
6. Ozark Trail 10-Person 3-Room XL Family Cabin Tent
Ozark Trail 10-Person 3-Room XL Family Cabin Tent is the perfect tent for those who want a big tent for the family at proximity privacy. With a dimension of 20’ x 10’, the tent can accommodate the whole family (up to 10 people). There are 03 ‘rooms’ separated by 02 dividers that create flexible privacy for mom & dad; the teenagers, and the camping gears. In general, it looks like a small house with a front door and 02 generous windows creating a ‘porch’ frame. There are also 02 more side doors and 04 added windows to ensure great ventilation and privacy if you divide the inside into 03 areas.
This tent also gives out panoramic views with the mesh roof and doors. You can gaze at the stars on a nice summer night, and cover it later if you worry about the night rain by its rainfly whose seams are fully taped. It will not let any water get in and ruin your camping night.
– Extra ventilation with mesh roof, mesh doors & 06 windows
– Quick and easy to set up and takedown
– Fully taped rainfly which prevents the inside from getting wet
– It’d be better if the rainfly is a bit bigger
7. Coleman Red Canyon 8-Person Tent
Coleman products, as well as this Red Canyon 8-person tent, always ranks high in the best large family tents list. Featuring a floor that measures 17’ x 10’ and the center high at 72’’, this tent can accommodate 8 people with camping gears. You can even get more privacy for all campers or simply get a separate area for gears and devices using its room dividers.
Staying inside the tent, you will be kept away from raindrops as the tent is equipped with Coleman’s exclusive Weathertec System. You also get extra air circulation with its Cool-Air port and Variflo adjustable venting system. The tent is like a perfect medium-size shelter that can be set up really quickly. The manufactures ensure the easy and quick set-up by the shock-corded, color-coded poles and detailed instruction.
– A large inside, enough for a big family, 02 smaller families or a group of buddies
– 02 dividers that provide enough privacy
– Cool-Air port and Variflo adjustable venting system allows extra air ventilation
– Need extra attention when using the zippers
8. Wenzel 8 Person Klondike Tent
This Wenzel tent is a smart choice for families or groups that do not always ask for lots of space. It is a versatile tent with 02 distinct rooms. Both rooms serve as the sleeping area while the front one, with its screened walls, is a great spot to contemplate the landscape in good weather. In case the need for more space arises, you can fit 08 people inside.
There is a round door between the 02 rooms for privacy. Great air ventilation is a plus point of this tent thanks to the mesh walls/roof, inside flap zippered windows, and the vent at the back of the tent. Do not let the mesh things and lightweight look scare you away. The Weather Armor fabric keeps the inside well from getting wet, and the tent is stable enough to protect you against the harsh winds. The shock-corded fiberglass roof frame with steel uprights will help you to set up the tent in no time, along with the corner elbows combined with pin and ring.
– Weather Amor fabric prevents the inside from getting wet
– Lightweight and easy to set up
– No door for the room at the back, which will be a bit uncomfortable if ones need to go outside during the night as you have to cross the screen room
– Not 100% suitable for grey, rainy weather. You might need extra seam sealers to waterproof the tent
9. Teton Sports Sierra Canvas Tent
This Teton product is the biggest tent of our 10 best large family tents list today. With a special and stunning bell tent design and a huge base at 20’ x 20’, the tent gives out a homely atmosphere and is cozier than other cabin tents. The special fabric also contributes to the comfortable feeling of the tent as a whole. It is made from strong treated cotton canvas fibers that repel water well yet provides breathable comfort. You will have both the best protection and air ventilation.
Being said to be a 4-season tent, this Teton product features strong carbon steel stakes that are able to drive through the roughest camping terrain and durable in spite of harsh winds. The extra-wide door and windows allow easy in and out movement, which is essential for such a big tent which can accommodate up to 16 people.
Besides the reinforced seams that ensure perfect weather protection, the tent also gives you the chance to take advantage of its usage. Remove the tent floor and you will have a ready-to-use canopy, which is suitable for outside events.
– 4-season tent which is durable, strong, and stable
– Special fabric that ensures breathable comfort and great weather protection
– Too heavy (66lbs), that might results in difficulties while carrying away
10. Kodiak Canvas Flex-Bow Deluxe 8-Person Tent
The last candidate in our best large family tents list is another canvas tent (100% cotton duck canvas), which differs from other polyester ones by its durability, watertight, and breathability. Though its name suggests it is ideal for 08 people only that some might associate the inside with narrow space, the ceiling height at 6’6″ allows easy movement. The 02 large D-shaped doors (both front and back) also contributes to the walk-around comfort. As for the air ventilation, the tent does good work thanks to its four large windows with no-see-um mesh, as well as two funnel-flow vents.
– 04-season tent
– There is an awning attachment for extra shelter for rainy/sunny days
– A bit costly, do not recommend for first-time buyers
Things We Need To Consider Before Picking The Best Large Family Tents
The tent is an essential camping gear and plays an important role in the success of a camping trip. Hence, we need to think carefully when it comes to buying decisions, as some tents might not have high quality as it seems/the manufactures boats. There is not a certain criterion to judge a tent, but you could base on the below points to decide whether to buy your dream large tent or not. Especially when it comes to one of the best large family tents, as it could be a huge investment.
1. The materials
There are many kinds of materials that are used in making the process of high-quality tents nowadays.
- Canvas: the material that has been used for tent making since the first day. Canvas tent mostly are made for outdoor activities such as weddings, graduations, or ceremonies… It can be used only on sunny days as the canvas itself is not waterproof. Some canvas tents that can be found in the market now are cotton tents that have already been treated to repel water well.
- Polyester: the most common material on the market now as it is identical to nylon but at a better level of UV damage resisting. Tents these days spend hours under sunlight so UV damage resisting is a necessary character. If yours are made from nylon, the manufacturer surely will give advice of put in in the shaded area.
- Ripstop nylon: you will find this material in 4-season tents as it enhances the durability of the tent against harsh weather conditions. the ripstop nylon is made by adding woven to the nylon to stop tears and rips that might spread and ruin the whole tent.
- Polyethylene: a heavy material but good at waterproofing and enhancing the durability of the tent. It is widely used to make the tents’ floor as it is difficult to make a whole tent from polyethylene using such heavy material.
2. The poles
The poles to the tent are like our skeleton to the body, which keeps our best large family tents upright, absorbs the harsh weather such as gusts of wind or pouring rain. The way we build it up depends on the manufacturer’s design: we might need to feed the poles through sleeves, or just need to clip them to the tent body. The material of the poles also matters in building the durability of the poles themselves and the tent. It is believed that aluminum is better than fiberglass in making strong poles
3. Height of the tent
When we plan on a trip for a big group that requires a big large family tent as the weather shelter, we’ll think of it as a comfort zone that we can move easily. Hence, remember to choose a tent whose center height is at least 6’. It will make you feel breathable if there is rain comes suddenly and everyone has to gather inside. A bunch of people camping together means that there will be lots of movement inside the tent and you don’t want to hunch your back while carrying things.
4. The tent’ doors
The tent’s doors are the entrance to our shelter among nature, so it’d be better if they provide easy go in and out. Or else, you will feel exhausted right at the time you walk in the tent, which obviously is not good for a trip that meant to be a getaway from the hustle of life. For a family camping occasion, it becomes extremely essential.
The doors of the best large family tents can be in O, D, or square-shaped with zippers for better protection at night. Some even can be hinged during daytime for easy go in and out and even more ventilation. In the evening, slightly open the door for more air circulation, and remember to zip it fully at night and let the vents do their job. You don’t want any insects to sneak in at night, and it is easier to lose heat if you let the doors opened.
5. The rainfly
Some might think a waterproof tent is enough and it is not necessary to get a rainfly (if one doesn’t come with the tent) or to hang it over the tent. However, the rainfly is one of the key opponents that make your camping trip a good time, not a disaster. It is because the rainfly will stop the raindrops before it reaches the tent ceiling and walls and it even redirects the waters to the sides and falls off the tent body without causing any incidents.
6. Ventilation and windows
Everyone needs to breathe, and that’s why the ventilation inside the tent is very important. It will be extremely important when you are seeking the best large family tents, as there are many people to use the tent at the same time. The door is a huge source of air circulation during the daytime, but when it comes to night time that you need to zip the door for protection, the mesh windows are now the main entrance for air to come inside the tent. If you camp in hot weather you will also need ceiling ventilation. Reconsider if your dream tent doesn’t have many windows and if they are low that results in less daylight, you might find check if there is any lantern hook on the ceiling.
7. The shape of the tent
The shape of the tent, which now mostly is rectangular, depends on your liking. Some tents might have different shapes such as round shape or comes with a square footprint but in fact, it doesn’t really affect the buying decision. Choose whatever you fancy that makes you feel comfortable with it. The only thing you need to consider is the capacity of the tent.
1. What is the best family tent on the market?
Actually, there is no best for everyone as it depends a lot on your personal preference and your needs. List down what you need and choose one that best suits your needs. In general, the best family tent, besides your liking, needs to be easy to set up, has a large inside that can accommodate your group and the camping gears and comes with useful features (such as room dividers for privacy, a screen room, an awning, and some lighting attachments).
2. What’s the Easiest Large Family Tent to Set Up?
The easy and quick setup is thanks to their designs and some tents I could list out are the CORE, Ozark Trail, and the famous Coleman. They have pre-attached frames, some even come with colored-code poles as detailed and useful instruction. Some inflatable tents from Vango, Coleman, and Outwell can be set up in no time with a powered air pump, and the pop-up tents are useful for those who are bad at connecting things.
3. How to Wash, Clean, and Dry a Large Tent?
To wash a big tent, you should use non-chemical cleaner soap with a portable rinse kit. When washing the tent, remember to use a non-abrasive sponge or scrubber to minimize the damage to the waterproof function and the tent’s lining.
After cleaning the tent properly, it’s time to dry it. You should hang the tent material in the wind and sun for a couple of hours (1-2 hours) using tent poles, hiking poles, or even tree branches. Remember to check whether the hangers have a sharp side/object that might harm the material or not.
You should not clean the tent on grey days as it might take more time to dry the tent, and sudden rain could soak up the material. It’s ideal to clean and dry the tent for packing it away for the next trip; as it is like another check-up for the trip: you will be sure of the tent’s condition. Never pack a wet tent in its carry bag as it might result in mold and mildew all over. The tent’s material then will be destroyed and easily gets holes, and tears.
A camping trip is always a good idea to bring the members of a group together, whether it is family, coworkers, or buddies. Get everything ready, including choosing a good large tent, is the key component to a great experience. I really hope that the things I share today help you in choosing the right big tent, and wish you a wonderful time with your big group of beloveds.